5 years LL.B. program is a law course pursued right after 10+2. This is of recent origin since earlier only law after graduation used to be the norm. 5 year course has witnessed an amazing craze among the students. This is because the course gives security of career right after 12th standard on the same lines as engineering and medicine. National Law Universities (NLU) are emerging to be the most sought-after institutions in the country.
5 years law program is a mixture of classroom study, moot court competitions, internships with lawyers and law firms for practical experience and actual visits to courts and prisons. This brings the student in touch with various aspects of legal process and prepare them practically for their career. During 5 years, they are taught not only purely legal subjects like criminal law, family law, constitutional and mercantile practices, rather also life skills and psychology such as legal ethics, court etiquettes, interpretation of statutes etc. Also, since it is a 5 year course, they are given lessons on basic political science, economics, history and also a foreign language. This aims at an all-round development of the students and helps them become a smart and informed lawyer!
THE MAJOR ENTRANCE EXAMS FOR 5 YEAR COURSE ARE -
- Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) for entry to various National Law Universities across the country.
- All India Law Entrance Test (AILET) for admission to National Law University, Delhi which conducts its separate exam.
- Common Entrance Test (CET) conducted by Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University for admission to University School of Law and Legal Studies and other affiliated colleges.
- Symbiosis Entrance Test (SET) for entry to Symbiosis Law College, Pune and Symbiosis Law College, Noida.
- Maharashtra CET which is a standardized test adopted as an admission criterion by multiple law colleges across Maharastra.